Compliance Manager (Fixed Income/Public Finance) - Req. 1900594
Under very limited direction, uses extensive knowledge and skills obtained through education and experience in securities and/or the banking industry to ensure firm policies and procedures are up-to-date and commensurate with the level of risk being mitigated. Leads large or multiple projects with very significant scope and impact. Works independently on difficult assignments that are broad in nature requiring originality and ingenuity with a high level of latitude for un-reviewed actions or decisions. Provides comprehensive solutions to very complex problems. Results are evaluated at agreed upon milestones for effectiveness in achieving specified results. Maintains extensive contact with internal customers to identify, research, analyze and resolve very complex issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversees the compliance program(s) for an assigned business entity to ensure compliance processes and procedures are integrated and aligned with business processes.
• Coaches, trains and mentors less experienced Compliance associates.
• May serve as a “team lead” for more junior compliance associates including potentially assisting in the talent selection process. Reviews the policies, procedures, and test findings produced by other compliance associates.
• Directs adjustments to existing programs, policies and procedures, as required.
• Ensures that compliance activities are commensurate with the level of risk being mitigated.
• Provides escalated support and guidance to compliance efforts in assigned business entity.
• Informs Senior Compliance Management about issues that may involve rule violations or potential liability.
• Assists management to implement adequate controls and quality assurance processes to detect and address compliance risks.
• Researches compliance issues.
• Develops and maintains compliance policies and procedures.
• Develops compliance training programs, including maintaining training records and coordinating training with other compliance activities.
• Reports compliance program status and activities to compliance and business management.
• Prepares and delivers written and oral presentations to management.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Advanced knowledge of:
• Concepts, practices and procedures of securities industry and/or banking compliance reviews.
• Rules and regulations of the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC); Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA); and state securities regulatory agencies.
• Fundamental investment concepts, practices and procedures used in the securities industry.
• Principles of banking and finance and securities industry operations.
• Financial markets and products.
• Overseeing compliance programs.
• Integrating and aligning compliance processes and procedures with business processes.
• Coordinating complex compliance activities.
• Providing support and guidance for compliance efforts.
• Identifying and implementing controls and quality assurance processes.
• Reviewing materials for compliance with rules and regulations.
• Researching compliance issues.
• Developing compliance training programs.
• Gathering information and preparing oral and written reports.
• Preparing and delivers written and oral presentations.
• Investigating compliance irregularities.
• Making rule-based and analytical decisions.
• Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications.
• Provide training, coaching and mentoring for others.
• Partner with other functional areas to accomplish objectives.
• Facilitate meetings, ensuring that all viewpoints, ideas and problems are addressed.
• Attend to detail while maintaining a big-picture orientation.
• Gather information, identify linkages and trends and apply findings to assignments.
• Interpret and apply securities and/or banking regulations and identify and recommend compliance changes as appropriate.
• Work under pressure on multiple tasks concurrently and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
• Use appropriate interpersonal styles and communicate effectively, both orally and writing, with all organizational levels.
• Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
• Provide a high level of customer service.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Maintain currency in securities and/or banking industry rules and regulations and best practices in compliance.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree (B.A./B.S.) in a related discipline and a minimum of six (6) years of experience in Compliance and/or the financial services industry.
• Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
• Appropriate series license(s) for assigned functional area preferred or the ability to obtain within an established timeframe.
• Additional licenses/certifications demonstrating the candidate’s knowledge/expertise in industry regulation and concepts preferred.