Financial Planning Consultant II - Req. 1900461
Under limited supervision uses specialized knowledge and skills obtained through experience, specialized training or certification to consult with Financial Advisors (FAs) and their clients regarding overall financial planning issues which may include portfolio design, income tax consulting, retirement planning, qualified retirement plans, risk management, estate planning, education funding and small business planning. Leads defined work or projects of broad scope and complexity. Resolves or recommends solutions to complex problems. Extensive contact with internal and external customers to provide detailed financial planning consultative services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responds to FA questions by telephone, email and occasional personal visits.
• Consults with FAs and their clients/prospects related to designing a tailored financial analysis or comprehensive plan that meets the client’s/prospect’s short and long-term financial needs and goals.
• Analyzes certain aspects and/or the entire financial circumstances of a client/prospect:
o In conjunction with the FA, reviews portfolio design and recommendations.
o Responds to income tax inquiries without providing tax advice.
o Evaluates overall individual and employer-based retirement needs, researches various options, and provides planning alternatives.
o Researches and provides recommendations related to risk management concerns, including insurance.
o Provides guidance on estate planning options and techniques.
o Responds to and directs education funding questions including 529 plans.
o Provides guidance on small business planning.
• Conducts research as needed related to assigned client cases, including but not limited to specific income tax questions and other legal issues.
• Creates planning alternatives using proprietary and third party software packages and provides comprehensive technical support to users of the software.
• Designs and prepares presentations that clearly communicate the recommendations and alternatives related to the client’s financial analysis and comprehensive plan design.
• Occasionally participates in the client presentations (primarily over the phone, however sometimes in person); as requested by the FA.
• Creates presentations and is an instructor in various training programs attended by FAs.
• May represent the department in home office meetings, such as By Invitation Only (BIO) and home office visits (HOVs), and at RJ conferences.
• Writes articles on financial, income tax, retirement, risk management and estate planning topics.
• Develops marketing materials.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
•Economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, investments and insurance based products.
•Advanced concepts and regulations related to financial planning.
•Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications to produce presentations, correspondence, electronic communication and maintain spreadsheets and databases.
•Organizational and time management sufficient to prioritize workload, handle multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
•Detailed orientation to ensure quality standards are met without impairing workflow.
•Following-up to ensure resolution and completion of tasks.
•Incorporate the financial needs and goals of a client into a succinct, professional presentation outlining their options.
•Read and interpret technical and legal documents, and apply the information as appropriate.
•Organize, manage and track multiple detailed tasks and assignments with frequently changing priorities in a fast-paced work environment.
•Use oral and written communication skills sufficient enough to interact effectively with and guide Financial Advisors and their clients on various planning options.
•Provide a high level of customer service in a calm, courteous and professional manner.
•Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
•Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
•Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in related field and three (3) to five (5) years experience in the financial, retirement and estate planning field or in marketing these services.
•Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training as approved by Human Resources.
•SIE required provided that an exemption or grandfathering cannot be applied.
•Series 7 or ability to obtain within two (2) years.
•Certified Financial Planner (CFP) designation or ability to obtain within three (3) years.