Options Strategist - Req. 1901585
The Options Trading & Strategies department is a team of dedicated professionals with experience and expertise on options and other derivative products. They provide strategic consulting and portfolio reviews on how options can help meet individual clients’ unique needs. The department provides strategy, education, and marketing support, along with support for options trading including large options orders and complex trades. This includes, but is not limited to, custom portfolio solutions for high net worth (“HNW”) and ultra-high net worth clients (“Ultra-HNW”). Additionally, in order to ensure the highest quality of execution for client trades, a regular and thorough analysis of routing partners must be performed.
Under limited supervision, the Options Strategist utilizes knowledge of finance, investment concepts obtained through education and/or work experience, and routing relationships to provide the support referenced above.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Analyzes the investment merits and risks of nontraditional investments, including but not limited to options.
• Assists with option report reviews and surveillance.
• Transfers product knowledge and expertise by communicating with and educating other departments, financial advisors, and clients.
• Plays a role in decisions to approve strategy recommendations.
• Markets options strategies to branch network.
• Enters and/or reviews equity/index option orders to ensure accuracy, proper record keeping, and conformance with regulations.
• Performs portfolio reviews and consulting to identify options strategy opportunities and support for any resulting transactions.
• Performs customized recommendations based on client objectives, time horizon, risk tolerance, tax considerations, and market forecast.
• Develops and maintains relationships with advisors focusing on solutions for HNW and Ultra-HNW clients.
• Develops and maintains solutions for discretionary advisors and platform managers.
• Administers and cultivates content for RJNET Options site.
• Leverages analytical resources for targeted sales and educational campaigns.
• Participates in client By Invitation Only (“BIO”) and advisor Home Office Visit (“HOV”) programs.
• Participates in firm level special projects and initiatives.
• Performs routing reviews and analyzes option data for all routing partners in order to ensure quality executions for clients.
• Gathers and publishes 606 reporting data to Raymond James public site.
• Participates in best execution meetings with other associates and presents findings to management.
• Hosts meetings with options routers to ensure clients are receiving best execution.
• Develops and publishes materials, both internally and externally, relating to options strategies.
• Conducts options-related webinars.
• Presents at conferences.
• Visits branches to educate, support and market options and options strategies.
• Assists in orienting and training new team members.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Options terminology and pricing models.
• Financial analysis.
• Technical analysis.
• Routing strategies and market structure.
• Complex investment products and securities markets in general.
• MS Office applications (strong Excel and Access skills a plus).
• MS Dynamics CRM.
• Bloomberg, Thomson One, and OptionsPlay.
• SQL and Python (practical understanding a plus).
• Prior trading experience a plus.
• Company’s working structure, policies, mission, and strategies.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Preparing and delivering clear, effective and professional presentations.
• Communicating with all levels of management, associates and counterparts at other firms.
• Establishing daily operational objectives.
• Interpreting and applying policies and identifying and recommending changes as appropriate.
• Build solid, effective working relationships with others, both internally and externally.
• Promote team cohesiveness, cooperation, and effectiveness.
• Pay close attention to detail.
• Multi-task, work in teams, self-motivate/take initiative, innovate, work independently, adapt, accept and lead change, meet deadlines.
• Provide courteous, timely service when addressing customer questions and concerns.
• Speak clearly and concisely.
• Focus on the task at hand while staying attuned to trading desk chatter.
• Constructively work under stress and pressure when faced with high workloads and deadlines.
• Operate standard office equipment and use required software applications to produce correspondence, electronic communication and maintain spreadsheets and databases.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
• Minimum Degree Required:
• Required Disciplines:
Finance, General business, or Economics very strongly preferred
• Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
• Minimum Experience:
5 years relevant experience, 8 years preferred
• SIE required provided that an exemption or grandfathering cannot be applied.
• Licenses/Certifications Required at Date of Hire:
• Licenses/Certifications Preferred:
Series 4 within 6 months of hire
Series 57 within 9 months of hire
Series 86/87 (preferred but not mandatory)
Series 66 (preferred but not mandatory)
CAIA, CMT, and/or CFA (preferred but not mandatory)
Raymond James Guiding Behaviors
At Raymond James our associates use five guiding behaviors (Develop, Collaborate, Decide, Deliver, Improve) to deliver on the firm's core values of client-first, integrity, independence and a conservative, long-term view.
We expect our associates at all levels to:
- • Grow professionally and inspire others to do the same
- • Work with and through others to achieve desired outcomes
- • Make prompt, pragmatic choices and act with the client in mind
- • Take ownership and hold themselves and others accountable for delivering results that matter
- • Contribute to the continuous evolution of the firm