Senior Associate Operational Due Diligence - Req. 1804310
Under very limited supervision, the Senior Associate of Alternative Investment Operational Due Diligence utilizes specialized knowledge and skills obtained through direct work experience and formal training to develop and maintain an alternative investment operational due diligence program designed to provide high net worth clients with a platform of non-traditional investment opportunities. Coverage universe will span the spectrum of hedge funds, private equity funds, real estate funds, managed futures funds, and other non-traditional investment opportunities. The Senior Associate is expected to lead onsite diligence meetings and communicate regularly with the C-Suite of external fund managers to acquire information necessary to analyze investment structures, offering terms, trading and operations, along with legal and compliance programs. The Senior Associate retains latitude for unreviewed decision making and autonomy with respect to fund manager interactions. Upon completion of review, it is expected that that Senior Associate provide a supported recommendation within written reports based on analysis performed. Further, the individual may also participate in economic negotiations and be expected to present to large groups as appropriate. Limited guidance is provided to perform varied, complex functions with the responsibility for making non-routine decisions; the incumbent is expected to perform the role with a high degree of independence.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist with leading in the further development and maintenance of AIG’s operational due diligence program. Update design as needed on a regular basis.
• Perform operational risk reviews of funds. Prepare written reports based on these reviews.
• Conduct and lead onsite due diligence reviews of third party asset managers and service provider operational support, internal controls, trade processing, and employees.
• Evaluate accounting and reporting processes and controls, including cash management, valuation practices, and NAV analysis.
• Review financial statements and any other relevant reports on the firms’ control environments.
• Analyze asset managers’ adherence to internal compliance policies and regulatory requirements.
• Create and execute an annual project plan to cover all required ongoing operational due diligence reviews.
• Willingness to embrace technology and employ lessons learned to improve operational due diligence processes.
• Interact with Raymond James Financial Advisors to answer questions about the operational infrastructure of funds on the Raymond James platform.
• Actively support the AIG product teams’ efforts to ensure platform competitiveness and advisor satisfaction while meeting the firm’s regulatory/oversight responsibilities.
• Develop and/or distribute topical reports to educate advisors on pertinent regulatory updates or industry trends related to operational due diligence topics.
• Maintain an archive of relevant regulatory updates and educational materials that may be easily referenced by advisors and other employees of the AIG team.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
•Operations of broker dealers, hedge funds, private equity, and similar firms
•Fund accounting procedures and audit
•Complex investment concepts, practices and procedures used in the securities industry
•Financial markets and complex products
•Quantitative and qualitative understanding of the investment management business and performance measurement
•Understanding of major securities acts and how they apply to alternative investment funds
•Excellent written and verbal communication across varying groups and individuals, both formal and informal
•Analyzing financial information including audited financial statements
•Proficiency in Excel and Access
•Produce accurate information on products and projects
•Exhibit excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, as this position will be a contact point for Financial Advisors who wish to talk in detail about all aspects of AIG and specifics about investment managers and performance reporting
•Organize, manage and track multiple detailed tasks and assignments with frequently changing priorities in a fast-paced work environment
•Attend to detail while maintaining the big picture orientation
•Read, interpret, analyze and apply information from professional publications
•Meet many deadlines to provide quarterly and monthly data to internal associates and external Financial Advisors
•Work independently as well as in a team environment
•Assist in leading meetings and contribute to team efforts by ensuring all relevant information is included in the outcomes
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
•Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) in accounting or finance and a minimum of five to seven (5-7) years of experience at a broker/dealer, hedge fund, private equity firm, or similar in a related role
•Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources
•Prefer CAIA, CFA, or CPA