Senior SQL Database Administrator - Req. 1901466
Administers and manages complex database systems. Creates, manages, and monitors performance and tuning of databases. Responsible for data warehousing design, data architecture strategy design and capacity planning. Demonstrates subject matter expertise and is able to integrate domain knowledge with an understanding of financial services standards and practices. Is the primary on the most complex or escalated issues and may provide direction and guidance team members. Applies specialized business knowledge and technical skills to significant deliverables and projects that involve multiple IT departments, business units and have enterprise impact. Is able to make judgements and recommendations based on the analysis and interpretation of data.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensures availability, security and integrity of assigned databases.
• Implements data models and database designs and enables applications with efficient back-end access and processing.
• Resolves database performance, capacity, replication, and other distributed data issues.
• Installs and configures database management software (DBMS) and applicable service packs and/or patches.
• Develops and implements database maintenance plans, including performing integrity checks, updating statistics and monitoring security and hardware resource utilization.
• Establishes regular backups of databases and transaction logs.
• Manages logins and user accounts, including assigning database object permissions and ancillary privileges.
• Schedules and manages jobs for data transfers and sundry procedures and monitors performance and impact on operations.
• Participates in data modeling and database logical and physical design.
• Participates in application development processes and code reviews of database objects.
• Analyzes long-term database performance trends to optimize database and application performance.
• Configures database server to work with middleware, web servers and OnLine Analytical Processing (OLAP) tools.
• Configures, supports, and optimizes replication.
• Performs acceptance testing on computer systems, applications and hardware.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS or related degree and five (5) years of relevant experience including relational database programming experience or combination of education, training and experience.
• Experience in Financial Services or other regulated industry preferred.
• Minimum eight years of Microsoft SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016/2017 DBA experience preferred.
• Experience supporting multiple production, QA and development servers in large environments (400 plus instances).
• Good Transact SQL skills – ability to write and tune complicated stored procedures and views utilizing inner and outer joins, etc.
• Experience diagnosing performance issues both at a database and code level resulting in driving technical solutions to development team
• Experience troubleshooting production issues in a timely, methodical manner that leads to accurate Root Cause Analysis
• Experience with large databases (> 1 TB)
• Experience supporting SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016/2017 replication
• 5- 8 years client server experience with emphasis on SQL programming
• Experience recovering databases after hardware or other catastrophic failures
• Experience with AlwaysOn (Availability Groups and Windows Failover Clusters)
• General knowledge of Windows 2012/2016 and hardware
• Experience with supporting and developing SSIS packages
• Experience with Analysis Services cubes and dimensions
• Experience with Windows Power Shell
• Experience with one or more performance tuning tools – SQL Profiler, SolarWinds, SQL Sentry
• Ability to write efficient stored procedure code, strong understanding of triggers, indexing strategies, and effective database maintenance for optimal performance
• Experience with Query Store and Extended Events
• Willing to learn new technologies and drive to be a change advocate
• Good customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
• The ability to think through problems critically, ask good questions and provide solutions.
• Able to use and/or create documented standards and apply those standards.
• Able to multi-task and parallelize work efforts
• Willingness to carry on-call support through rotation.
Raymond James Guiding Behaviors
At Raymond James our associates use five guiding behaviors (Develop, Collaborate, Decide, Deliver, Improve) to deliver on the firm's core values of client-first, integrity, independence and a conservative, long-term view.
We expect our associates at all levels to:
- • Grow professionally and inspire others to do the same
- • Work with and through others to achieve desired outcomes
- • Make prompt, pragmatic choices and act with the client in mind
- • Take ownership and hold themselves and others accountable for delivering results that matter
- • Contribute to the continuous evolution of the firm