Staff Tax Accountant - Req. 1900067
Under limited supervision, uses specialized knowledge and skills in tax accounting and preparation obtained through education and experience to conduct research and ensure compliance with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and state rules and regulations. Researches tax ramifications of various financial transactions, analyzes and reconciles tax provision accounts in accordance with FASB 109 (ASC 740) and assists with internal and external audit requests. Researches and implements process improvement software and/or procedures. Leads and supervises defined work or projects of significant scope and complexity and serves as an advisor to others. Expected to have extensive contact with internal and external customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Researches and implements applicable IRS and state regulations and interpretations.
• Researches tax ramifications of moderately complex transactions.
• Conducts research and ensures compliance with IRS and state regulations.
• Prepares and reviews work papers, calculations and forms with respect to Federal and state tax compliance.
• Reviews Federal and state income tax returns, including consolidated/combined returns.
• Supervises, reviews and analyzes state apportionment and allocation work papers.
• Assists in preparation of foreign information returns (Forms 5471) and calculation of Subpart F income and Foreign Tax Credits
• Reviews annual tax return extensions and quarterly estimated payment calculations.
• Responds to notices from Federal, state and local jurisdictions.
• Analyzes FASB 109 (ASC 740) and FIN 48 (ASC 740-10) regulations.
• Assists with audit requests and coordinates with federal and state auditors regarding moderate to complex tax issues.
• Prepares documents related to audit and dispute resolution.
• Prepares and presents recommendations to management.
• Responsible for making moderately complex decisions.
• Analyzes and reconciles tax accounts and identifies potential unusual transactions or irregularities.
• Has regular contact with internal and external clients and/or auditors.
• Reviews sales/use tax returns and other returns where necessary.
• Handles various levels of tax consulting work in response to client needs.
• Create/locate, evaluate and apply appropriate procedures, processes, for specific issues and problems.
• Leads projects of significant scope and complexity.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Tax accounting and reporting concepts, practices and procedures.
• FASB 109 (ASC 740) and FIN 48 (ASC 740-10) regulations
• Federal and state tax return filing requirements and methodologies.
• State apportionment and sourcing concepts.
• Utilization of the OneSource Tax Software.
• Principles of banking and finance and securities industry operations.
• Tax compliance, audit management and planning.
• Researching and interpreting Federal and state tax requirements.
• Preparing for and supervising Federal and state income and sales tax audits.
• Communicating tax rules and regulations to others.
• Reviewing and interpreting financial statements.
• Gathering, compiling and analyzing large amounts of complex data.
• Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications to produce correspondence, electronic communication and maintain spreadsheets and databases.
• Read, comprehend and apply complex IRS and state rules, regulations and requirements.
• Identify and resolve moderate to complex tax issues.
• Identify, recommend and implement process improvements
• Demonstrate efficiency and flexibility in performing detailed transactional tasks in a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions, changing priorities, and deadlines.
• Partner with other functional areas to accomplish objectives.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with all organizational levels.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Educational/Previous Experience Recommendations:
• Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in tax accounting preferably with a portion of the experience at a public accounting firm.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
• Master’s Degree in Accounting or Tax preferred.
• Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
• CPA preferred, or significant progress toward receiving CPA certification.